DEPARTMENT: Public Affairs JOB TITLE: Director
JOB STATUS: Exempt REPORTS TO: COO
JOB PURPOSE: To coordinate Iowa Soybean Association’s lobbying and policy communications efforts in federal and state legislative and regulatory arenas and engage Iowa producers in those efforts.
EXPECTATIONS OF EMPLOYEE
- Adheres to all policies and procedures
- Acts as a role model within and outside the organization
- Performs duties as workload necessitates
- Maintains a positive and respectful attitude
- Maintains a demeanor that creates positive team atmosphere
- Communicates regularly with supervisor and team members
- Consistently reports to work on time prepared to perform duties of position
- Meets organization productivity standards
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Coordinate ISA legislative and policy program in cooperation with ISA Board
- Assist in developing ISA policy priorities through annual surveys and meetings with local farmers ultimately resulting in approval of ISA’s annual policy document
- Along with farmer leaders, develop strategy to achieve the policy priorities of ISA
- Work with ISA’s contract lobbyists to plan and execute lobbying strategy on specific issues
- Work with elected officials to influence policy decisions at state and national level
- Monitor state and federal legislative and regulatory issues of interest to Iowa soybean farmers and find ways to engage farmers in research and positive resolution of those issues
- Energize the relationship with Advocate members to amplify ISA policy priorities with influencers
- Provide direction for staff and members to develop relationships with government and agricultural decision makers and insure that ISA leaders and/or staff participate in discussions regarding policy
- Develop and manage the Public Affairs budget as well as staff the Public Affairs committee and the Policy Advisory Council
- Working with ISA communications to publicize ISA’s policy positions
- Work cooperatively with other Iowa commodity and agricultural organizations on Iowa policy issues, and with the American Soybean Association on national policy issues
- Prepare ISA delegates to participate in the annual Commodity Classic ASA resolution session
ADDITIONAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Frequently collaborates with ISA Research, Producer Services, Communications and Marketing
- Must be able to work independently, meet deadlines, and collaborate effectively internally and externally.
- Experience working with Government agencies is strongly recommended.
- Bachelor’s Degree in communications or political science.
- Must have excellent presentation skills.
- 3 years’ in lobbying and/or legislative or regulatory experience. Agricultural background preferred.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Ability to read, and analyze, and interpret information and adjusts strategies in response. Ability to command the respect of the board of directors, association directors, regulatory agencies, vendors and business community. Ability to effectively present information to members, management, public groups and/or boards of directors.
Please send resumes to Sue Heath at email@example.com