The Conservation Agronomist will provide conservation and agronomy technical assistance to ag retail partners, landowners, and farmers across Iowa with a goal of increasing farmer participation and engagement in programs and projects that improve production, profitability, and natural resource outcomes. This position will also provide grant and project management including partner engagement, progress reporting, and coordination. This position reports to the Sr. Field Services Program Manager.
- Serve as a conservation and agronomy technical specialist
- Identify appropriate in-field and edge-of-field agronomy and conservation practices for soil and water resource improvement
- Promote management practices and systems to address resource concerns, farmer/landowner goals, and watershed project goals
- Execute on-farm research, including collection of data and management information
- Monitor agronomic and conservation practice performance
- Connect farmers and landowners with financial assistance and securing necessary technical design standards for practice application
- Manage grant project implementation, reporting, coordination, and troubleshooting
- Serve as a technical agronomy and conservation liaison between watershed coordinators and ag retail partners across the state
- Build relationships and coordinate projects with project sponsors and a variety of audiences including farmers, landowners, ag retail staff, CCA’s, USDA Service Center personnel, extension, NGO partners, and other commodity organizations
- Participate in meetings, trainings, events, and field days
- Prepare work plans, budgets, quarterly and annual reports
- Coordinate with other ISA departments and staff including communications and outreach, producer services and finance and accounting
- Practical understanding and application of agronomy and conservation
- Prioritizing and organizing work
- Establishing relationships
- Customer service
- Evaluating and implementing ideas
- Navigating organizations
- Acting as a champion for change
- Communicating effectively
- This position requires remote work in the field and requires up to 50% regular travel, typically in Iowa. Occasionally travel is outside the local area and overnight.
- This position has no supervisory responsibility
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree or higher in environmental sciences, agricultural engineering, biological sciences, ecology, sociology, or related field
- Minimum of three to five years of experience working directly with farmers
- Strong understanding of:
- conservation practices and financial support programs
- agricultural industry and the ag retail system
- cropping systems
- Capable of working in a team environment while working independently to achieve specific project deliverables
- Understanding or ability to learn various computer technologies including data management programs, CRM software, and GIS software.
- Valid driver's license required
Preferred Education and Experience
- Master degree in environmental sciences, agricultural engineering, biological sciences, ecology, or related field
- Experience working with grant projects or grant management
- Certified Crop Advisor (CCA) certification
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; drive long distances; walk in fields and uneven terrain; collect water samples from streams, tile outlets, and other water sources; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is exposed to weather conditions prevalent at the time. The noise level in the work environment will vary.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, and software platforms such as Office 365. Occasional field work is required and sampling equipment such as water sampling equipment, handheld garden shears, soil probes, and GPS equipment are also used.
- Medical, dental and vision insurance
- Flexible spending account available
- Cellphone and wellness reimbursement
- 401(k) with generous company match
- Tuition reimbursement program
- Dress for your day dress code