Serving on the Board of Directors
Who serves on the ISA board of directors?
There are two directors for each of Iowa’s nine crop reporting districts and, including four at-large directors. Elections for open seats are held during the month of July.
Board members are elected to a three-year term and can serve three consecutive terms. All Iowa soybean farmers receive ballots to vote for the ISA board.
Additional leadership is provided by farmer directors representing the American Soybean Association and the United Soybean Board. Ex-officio directors represent Iowa Corn Promotion Board, Iowa Department of Agriculture & Land Stewardship, Iowa Economic Development Authority, the Iowa Farm Bureau Federation and Iowa State University.
|What does the board do?
Manages and conducts the business of the Iowa Soybean Association.
- Uphold certain standards of conduct including duty of care, duty of loyalty, duty of obedience, and duty of transparency.
- Attend quarterly board meetings (typically held in September, January, February/March and June). These meetings are required and are two to three days in length. Most meetings will be held at the ISA office in Ankeny. The February/March meeting is held at the location of Commodity Classic.
- Participate in trade missions, work with the media, represent ISA at events and meetings and more.
- Serve on two of four ISA committees each year. These committees lead the staff members’ work and provide direction regarding board decisions. The committees are Policy, Demand, Supply and Information & Education.
- Serve as voting delegates for the ISA Policy Conference held in January.
- Asked to invest as Advocate Members.
What positions are available for this election?
For the 2023-2024 ISA board of directors, the following districts are up for election:
- District 1: Lyon, Osceola, Dickinson, Emmet, Sioux, O'Brien, Clay, Palo Alto, Plymouth, Cherokee, Buena Vista, Pocahontas
- District 2: Kossuth, Winnebago, Worth, Mitchell, Hancock, Cerro Gordo, Floyd, Humboldt, Wright, Franklin, Butler
- District 4: Woodbury, Ida, Sac, Calhoun, Monona, Crawford, Carroll, Greene, Harrison, Shelby, Audubon, Guthrie
- District 5: Webster, Hamilton, Hardin, Grundy, Boone, Story, Marshall, Tama, Dallas, Polk, Jasper, Poweshiek
- District 7: Pottawattamie, Cass, Adair, Mills, Montgomery, Adams, Fremont, Page, Taylor
- District 9: Mahaska, Keokuk, Washington, Louisa, Wapello, Jefferson, Henry, Des Moines, Davis, Van Buren, Lee
- At-Large (2 races): Available to farmers in any county
How can I learn more?
You can talk to any current director and ask about their experience with the board. You can also contact any member of the ISA Producer Services Team for more information or to have them connect you with a director. They are happy to talk to you about your interests and leadership goals.
All potential candidates who submit their names through the form below will receive a follow-up from ISA staff to fill out the Iowa Soybean Association Director Candidacy Affidavit of Eligibility, certifying that they marketed 250 bushels of soybeans in the previous marketing year. All candidates will then be reviewed for approval by the ISA nomination committee.